The summer months in the Philippines are notorious for the heat and humidity that can be very unbearable at times. It is not surprising that a lot of people constantly look for ways to get cool during the hot summer months. If you are looking for some ideas as well, below are some of the quick and easy ways to alleviate the heat and humidity this summer season.
- Turn on the air conditioner. One of the quickest and most common ways of getting cooler during summer is to stay in your room and turn on the air conditioner. No wonder many appliance stores get to enjoy an increase in their air conditioner sales right before and during the summer months. The only drawback with this method is the higher electricity consumption – you might find yourself with a very high electric bill next month.
- Go to the mall. Shopping malls in the Philippines are more crowded during two seasons of the year – Christmas and summer. If the Christmas season is for shopping, the summer months are for the free use of cold air conditioning while walking around. This is the best option for those who do not want to pay for expensive electric bills or those who do not have air conditioning at home. Aside from providing much needed cold air, malls like the Ayala Center offer a lot of activities that you can do. You can even treat yourself to some cold drinks to further cool you while walking around.
- Eat some halo-halo. There is a reason why the Filipino dessert halo-halo is popular during summer season. This cold dessert is fun and enjoyable to consume just when you need to get cool. You can either make it yourself or buy one from the many halo-halo stands that sprout like mushrooms during summer.
- Take a quick shower. Aside from higher electric bills, a lot of households also get higher water bills during the summer months. This can be attributed to longer and more frequent bath/shower times taken by most people. A quick shower can do wonders in making you feel cooler and more refreshed.
- Drink a slushy fruit shake. If you are not a halo-halo person, a slushy fruit shake will do. All you need are some days old fruit which are plentiful during summer months, some ice, and a blender. You may want to add some milk and sugar for a more delicious fruit shake.