Having a clean and organized work desk is essential to being able to work productively and efficiently. Some people are unaware that their work environment has a great influence on their mindsets and their work behavior. A disorganized workplace can make you feel more stressed and frantic and will definitely affect the how you work and the kind of work that you do.
Whether you are working in an office space in the Philippines such as in Makati City, in a quaint cubicle in the small rural building, or a desk in your own home, it is important to know how to keep it clean and organized. Below are some tips to help you.
- Get rid of the clutter. Busy work desks do not need to be filled with clutter. Contrary to what some people may think, it is possible to have a clutter-free work area even if you are very busy. Set a day when you will de-clutter, empty, shred, and basically just get rid of everything that you will not need or want anymore. Keep a garbage bag ready for all the stuff you will throw out.
- Give away stuff. For things that you cannot bear throwing away but needs to be removed from your work area, consider giving them away. If you have a co-worker in the next cubicle that might need your extra set of pen organizer, go ahead and be generous. Not only do you get to remove your excess stuff, someone else benefits from them too.
- Label. Labeling things are not just for the obsessive-compulsive ones. You will find out that this can actually make things more organized and will likewise make it easier for you to put away things and find them when you need them.
- Clean your computer desktop too. De-cluttering goes beyond your physical workspace. If your desk is filled with papers, pens, folders, and a bunch of other clutter, your computer desktop or workspace is probably in the same shape. This also affects your mindset when working. Put away all of those icons in your desktop by copying the files to their appropriate directories and then deleting them from the desktop.
- Straighten up daily. After you have successfully de-cluttered your work desk, make it last by remembering to straighten up every day. Do not just leave your things on your table. Instead, maintain the clean and clutter-free condition of your workspace by putting away any stuff immediately after use.